Car Booster Seat Regulations Made Simple
WHAT’S GOING ON?
Before launching into explaining the changes in law that have taken place in 2017 for booster seats, it’s more relevant to explain that owning a backless booster seat with the ECE R44/4 Universal regulated approval label sealed on the item – even if bought before or after the new regulations were released – means that it is STILL LEGAL and SAFE to use, and buy on/for your 4-12 year old.
WHAT DOES ECE R44/4 ACTUALLY MEAN?
- By Law, children’s car seats have been subjected to accident simulation testing
- Under Regulations ECE R44/04, seats must undergo frontal collision testing at a speed of 50km/h and rear impact collision testing at 30km/h
- The orange ECE R44 approval label guarantees that the car seat complies with the basic safety requirements as set out in the European safety standard ECE R44
AS OF MARCH 2017:
New models of booster seats manufactured, will only be suitable for children above 125cm tall or weighing more than 22kg.
That’s it. Nothing more. Nothing less.
THIS MEANS THAT?
Backless booster seats are still legal and safe to use on your 4-12 year old.
BUT WHAT DOES UK LAW SAY ABOUT CHILD SAFETY AND CAR SEATS?
“Children must NORMALLY USE A CHILD CAR SEAT until they’re 12 years old or 135 centimetres tall, whichever comes first.”
Source: Child car seats: the law
CHILDREN MUST ‘NORMALLY USE A CAR SEAT’? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
It’s clearly illegal for a child aged 12 and below to travel in a vehicle without a child safety restraint.
You’re jumping into a taxi with your child.
Or if they go on an unexpected playdate travelling in someone else’s car.
Or perhaps travelling a short distance to grandma’s house.
And even when there’s no space for a 3rd car seat.
The different scenarios are endless. And more often than not, parents understandably fail to lug around their heavy and bulky car seat.
UK Law recognises that there’s a huge loophole in the car seat market that doesn’t cover those times when it’s really not viable to carry around your regular heavy, bulky car seat.
Until now there hasn’t been a viable solution to this global problem
THANK YOU MIFOLD
- mifold is a Group 2/3 car seat which is ECE R44.04 regulated, certified and has been rigorously crash tested
- mifold is a revolutionary solution for those times when a regular car seat is unavailable
- mifold offers the correct amount of restraint in case of impact with it’s 3-belt guide pulling the seat-belt down to sit correctly on the collar bone and the hip bones, away from the face, neck and abdomen
- mifold is highly portable thanks to its lightweight and compact size
- mifold is pocket size and lighter than a small bottle of water to fit easily into a bag or child’s backpack to carry around at all times
- mifold sits nicely in a car’s glove compartment – clutter free and always ready for those unexpected journeys
- Need a 3rd car seat for the day? mifold fits 3-in-a-row in the back seat perfectly, offering you and your passengers a safe and stress free journey
mifold is a game-changer! It’s time to put our children’s safety first. We need to recognise that mifold is a regulated child safety restraint for those times when a regular car seat is unavailable.
mifold is legal, safe and can save lives.